Media - Journalism - Newspaper
Director of Digital Content
Broadcasting - Radio - TV
We’re redefining how news is produced and distributed for busy, mobile audiences, and we’re looking for a creative, innovative leader to drive these efforts in one of the country’s fastest growing big cities. The Director of Digital Content at WCNC, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in Charlotte, will serve as a member of the senior management team and lead the publication and distribution of engaging, compelling content across multiple platforms. This person will play a key role in charting the station’s content and growth strategy.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the digital content team and lead digital strategy to grow multi-platform content, audience and engagement for NBC Charlotte.
- Be the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspire others to follow your lead
- Lead our newsrooms to develop workflows that deliver our content 24/7 across current and future platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen
- Analyze and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Actively partner with the news director and marketing director to create three-screen synergy (TV, digital, mobile) around station content and campaigns
- Oversee all station efforts in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and other emerging platforms.
- Lead the content team in identifying new content types and innovative technologies that help us reach and serve new audiences
- Create unique, engaging, and shareable content
- Be a resource for Sales in its content generation and digital sponsorship efforts
- Teach, coach, and mentor both members of the digital team and the entire newsroom in best practices for writing and producing content for digital and social platforms
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
- Collaborate with content leaders across TEGNA to maximize the sharing of our content and to leverage innovation and best practices among stations
- Hold newsroom employees accountable to TEGNA’s ethical and editorial standards
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or equivalent experience in the field
- At least 5 years of content experience, including at least 2 years managing other digital journalists
- Solid journalistic judgment and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement
- A deep understanding of social strategy and SEO with the hunger to keep up with emerging trends
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and the ability to deal with the rapid pace of news
- Knowledge of online CMS and news production systems along with social newsgathering tools like CrowdTangle and Social News Desk
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends, Google Analytics experience a plus.
- Passion and vision for emerging media
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines